Friday 20 July 2012

Review: Soap...in your hair?


About 5 years ago, I was given a shampoo bar for my birthday by the sales person at Free Spirit Botanicals (549 Johnson St) in downtown Victoria, BC. I loved it. It had a lemongrass scent and made my hair shiny and soft. I didn't know much about hand-made soaps at the time and let the bar disintegrate in the shower with too much water spraying on it all the time from the shower head. 5 years later, I was in the same shop with my Mom and they were having a sale on shampoo bars and soaps. I convinced her to try the lemongrass one I had loved so much and chose the "Breeze" scent for myself (lavender and patchouli). The sales person told me she used the same one and that it smelled fabulous. She also said you could use it all over: hair and body. The trick was to keep it out of water and it would last a long time. 

I took it home and hopped in the shower immediately. I was so excited to try it! The bar contained  only vegetable fats and essential oils (I don't use sulfates in my hair). It lathered up nicely in Victoria's soft water and made my hair feel squeaky clean. I used my usual conditioner (Tresemme Naturals) and my hair dried in soft, shiny ringlets. I loved the spicy scent of the lavender and patchouli. It didn't smell too strong, it just left a nice, soft fragrance.

I use this bar every other day with conditioner-only washes in between. I lather it in my hands first before putting it in my hair, concentrating on the scalp and massaging it in with the pads of my fingers. Other places that make shampoo bars suggest rubbing the bar on your hair, but my hair is fragile and prone to breakage so that's why I use my hands. 

We have soft water in Vancouver and the bar lathers nicely. I've read in curly and natural hair forums that in places with hard water it's important to clarify your hair or else you get build up from the deposits in the water. To clarify, either use a clarifying shampoo (with sulfates) or do an apple cider vinegar rinse. Use 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar to 2 cups water after you shampoo and before you condition. Do this once a week and your hair should be healthy and shiny. 

I will also mention that Free Spirit Botanicals makes lovely soaps. Right now I'm using the green tea and oatmeal and it keeps my skin clean and soft and it smells wonderful. The products last long if you keep them out of water. I have a shower caddy and the bars have lasted me since Mother's Day weekend. That's 2 months now and I still have over half of the shampoo bar left and a quarter of the bar of soap. 

If you're ever in Victoria, check out this shop. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable and they sell everything from foot creams and face washes to deodorant and essential oils.

No comments:

Post a Comment