Thursday 19 July 2012

Get a hobby!

So, I don't have any hobbies really. I'm interested in people and personalities and do a lot of reading of forums like PerC and Typology Central. I've read on other sites that most psychologists disregard the MBTI and Enneagram models as pseudoscience and not really indicative of personality traits. I've also read psychologists rely more on models like the Big 5 test, which you can take here. It still doesn't fade my interest in them, but knowing that it could be a bunch of hooey definitely makes me wonder how much faith I should put into these things. I mean, I used to make friends and choose dating partners strictly on the MBTI standard. When I was online dating, if I saw someone was a certain personality type based on a test they'd taken on the site, I might respond to them differently had they been another, more "desirable" type. I soon found out my most "desired" and sought-after type was actually not much of a match for me. Most of these types I've met have been adrenaline junkies with not a lot of time or desire for meaningful conversation. Fart and poop jokes abound. And that's another sweeping generalization on my part. MBTI is just putting people in a box, telling them this is the way they are and should act. 


If you're interested, I'm an ENFP 4w3 sx/sp, tritype 4-5-9 (the Contemplative), and also "mercurial". Whatever the hell "mercurial" means. My Big 5 scores are high on openness, agreeableness, and neuroticism, and low on conscientiousness, and extroversion.


I have a friend who hasn't dated in years and is in search of a particular type that is not common in women. He's never met one in person, only online, and they live on opposite sides of the country. To each their own, but I found I was much happier when I decided to be open to all types of people instead of just one or two.


Moving on, I'd like to get a hobby that gets me out of my own head and away from introspecting. I journal a lot and spend copious amounts of time thinking about myself and how I relate to the world. I'd like to get busy with my hands or my body. I've decided on crocheting and also this blog. I've decided to mostly review products and recipes instead of writing personal stuff.


I searched some womens' forums for popular hobbies and knitting, needlework, and crocheting were right up there. Makeup, nails, and hair came in a close second. I've tried knitting before and found it too tedious, but crocheting looks easy enough for me and I could do it while reading or watching a show. 


I'm going to Michaels this weekend to check out some of their crocheting stuff like yarn and hooks. I'll check Youtube and wikihow to see what supplies I need. I'm not sure what I'm going to make yet, but I'm leaning toward a purse. Maybe that's a bit advanced for me. I might try a hat or scarf first. Or an afghan. I have a friend who makes adorable little monsters and animals. One day I hope to be able to make anything I want!


If you have any ideas or suggestions about crocheting or other hobbies, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment