Sunday 22 July 2012

Review: Secret Weapon (Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds)



At our house, we like to use as many natural products as possible. One of the cleaners we use is Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds. Specifically, we dilute it and use it as a dish soap and for cleaning hard surfaces. The surfactants (cleansers) are derived from coconut oil and it also has added fir and spruce essential oils that smell fresh and clean and not at all like Pine Sol. It's biodegradable and has no preservatives. It's also highly concentrated, so only 2 teaspoons is needed to clean a sinkful of dishes. It's also perfect for washing counters and floors. It can be used with hot or cold water and rinses clean. Sal Suds is mild and gentle on hands. 

One other great use for Sal Suds is laundry. It gets out stains like no other. Just a drop or two on the stain will remove it. 


EDIT: This stuff is the bomb. I just used it on a shirt: one white cotton tee. I dropped blobs of lasagna all over it while I was eating (classy, I know). I just rubbed Sal Suds into the stains, threw it in the wash (on cold) and when I took the shirt out of the machine there was no trace of the stains. Booya!

Bonus: It's not tested on animals and vegan, just like Dr. Bronner's other products. 

We also use diluted Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Castille Liquid Soap as a refill for a foaming soap pump. It works exceptionally well and is mild and soft on skin. It has no fragrance whatsoever and is great in the shower as well.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Bronner's products. I've even brushed my teeth with the liquid soap! The only thing I wouldn't recommend is washing your hair with it, even though it says you can on the bottle. It made my curly hair limp and lifeless. Your mileage may vary. It's great to take camping because you can use it for so many things: dishes, laundry soap, body wash, shaving cream, etc. 

It may seem a bit expensive at first, but it's so concentrated a bottle will last you a long time. Check out the website, there's many scents and different sized bottles and even a bar soap version. 


No comments:

Post a Comment